Nothing beats a relaxing day on the water. Fishing is a favorite pastime for both men and women alike, and it often results in family bonding. Some love the water so much that they make their living working on the water. Whether you are kicking back and relaxing, or you have a messy, wet job on a boat, you need a great pair of waterproof fishing boots.
We’ve reviewed the best fishing boots, from light to heavy duty, to help you get the most out of your next fishing trip.
|Fishing Boot||Fit||Price||Best Feature|
|Kamik Hunter Boot||Men's||Moderately priced||A removable moisture-wicking thermal liner|
|Muckboots Original Scrub Boot||Unisex||Moderately priced||Stretchy, easy to clean nylon upper|
|Polar Products Rubber Wellie Wellington||Women's||Budget-friendly||Quick Dry fabric interior lining|
|Xtratuf Performance Series Kryptek Ankle Deck Boots||Men's||Expensive||Can wear with or without socks|
|Muck Boot Adult MuckMaster||Unisex||Expensive||100% waterproof and puncture-resistant heavy-duty boot|
|Baffin Tractor Work Boot||Men's||Budget-friendly||Thermal upper with extra large 17” collar|
|Muckboots Edgewater||Unisex||Expensive||Stretch-Fit Topline neoprene uppers stretch to fit thicker calves|
|Xtratuf Legacy||Men's||Expensive||Best rubber boots for commercial fishing|
|Servus 12” PVC Polyblend Soft Toe Shrimp Boots||Unisex||Budget-friendly||Best wading boots|
|Tingley 31151 Economy||Unisex||Budget-friendly||The knee-high boot doesn’t harden in cold temperatures|
The Best Boots for Fishing 2022
Kamik Men’s Hunter Boot
A famous outdoor footwear company, Kamik manufacturers boots that hold up to any climate. If you work in the marine business, the Kamik Men’s Hunter Boot protects your feet from the messier conditions. This mid-calf boot is waterproof with adjustable nylon collars to prevent water and debris from getting inside your boots. With a defined 1.25” heel, the rubber outsole has deep tread for slip-resistance. The removable moisture-wicking thermal liner keeps your feet warm and dry no matter what time of year you spend on a fishing boat. Acid and chemical resistant for extra protection, the Kamik Hunter is a heavy-duty waterproof boot for any man who works in the fishing industry.
- Moderately priced 13” mid-calf waterproof boot
- Synthetic rubber sole with shock-absorbent 1.25” defined heel
- A removable moisture-wicking thermal liner
- 15.5” mouth for thicker calves
- -40-degree temperature rating for either warm or cold temperatures
- Oil-resistant and acid-resistant adjustable nylon collar keeps water out
- Feel heavy
- Little arch support
- Run large but narrow; no half sizes
Muckboots Original Scrub Boot
Muckboots are the go-to company for men and women who need a sturdy boot for wet or messy environments. The Muckboots Original Scrub Boot is a waterproof mid-calf unisex boot that conveniently comes with the equivalent men’s and women’s sizes. This flexible 8” boot has a breathable interior liner and stretchy nylon upper for comfortable all-day wear. Whether you are relaxing on the boat or you are in stormy weather, the Muckboots Scrub Boot will keep your feet dry. A rubber outsole with deep tread prevents slipping, and it is flexible enough for standing or walking. The Muckboots Scrub Boot is an excellent option for men and women who need a protective, waterproof boot for fishing or other jobs in wet environments.
- Moderately priced
- Waterproof 8” unisex boot
- Good for wide calves
- Durable rubber outsole with good traction
- Comfortable for long-term wear
- Stretchy, easy to clean nylon upper
- Breathable mesh interior liner
- Flexible sole for comfortable long-term walking or standing
- Great for messier jobs on the water
- Run small
- Don’t last for more than a year
- They look and feel a little bulky
- Slight rubber smell dissipates after a few wears
Polar Products Women’s Rubber Wellie Wellington
For women who love the outdoors, fishing offers a peaceful activity to help you forget the stress of your daily life. If you plan on spending your Sundays fishing, you’ll need a comfortable waterproof boot that will keep you dry. The Polar Products Rubber Wellie Wellington is a 15.5” women’s waterproof boot with a Quick Dry fabric interior lining for a comfy fit all day. The rubber outsole with a defined heel is perfect for kicking your feet up on the side of the boat, and the deep lugs are slip-resistant. An extra tough, glossy vulcanized rubber upper has a smooth fit ideal for women with small feet and narrow calves. Available in navy or black, these Wellies are a great option for women who love fishing in comfortable boots.
- Budget-friendly 15.5” women’s waterproof boot
- Rubber outsole with traction and defined heel
- Shiny, glossy vulcanized rubber upper
- Quick Dry fabric interior lining
- For women with small feet and narrow calves
- Limited colors (navy/black)
- Hold up less than a year
- Streamlined fit means you can’t tuck your pants in the calves
- Run small with a tight toe box
Xtratuf Performance Series Ankle Deck Boots
Xtratuf is another company that makes durable waterproof boots for men in the fishing profession. The Xtratuf Performance Series Ankle Deck Boots are a lightweight fishing ankle boot for calm waters. With pull loops at the front and the back of the ankle collar, your feet can slip into these boots easily. The Soft Xpress Cool interior lining is so soft that you can wear them with or without socks. The boots have cushy and comfortable neoprene insoles that are comfortable to stand in all day. They do run small and narrow, so you’ll have to order up if you have wider feet. The Chevron outsole doesn’t have the best traction, so the Xtratuf Kryptek’s are best for a relaxing day on the boat, whether you are fishing or not.
- 100% waterproof rubber men’s ankle boot
- Best fishing deck boots
- Non-marking Chevron outsole
- Soft Xpress Cool interior lining is antimicrobial to prevent odors
- Pull loops at front and back of ankle collar
- Can wear with or without socks
- Simple neoprene insoles for all-day wear
- Run small and narrow with a tight toe box
- Poor traction
- Not for extra messy conditions
Muck Boot Original MuckMaster
Another design by Muckboots makes our list again, with an even more protective pair of waterproof boots. The Muck Boot Original MuckMaster is the ultimate waterproof boot for the messiest, wettest environments. This heavy-duty boot is great for fishers who need extra comfort and waterproofing during stormy weather. A neoprene rubber outsole is shock-absorbent and puncture-resistant, and the stretch-fit upper has a streamlined fit. With vulcanized rubber overlays up to the mid-calf, the MuckMaster completely protects you from abrasion, water, and other debris. Built for comfort, the MuckMaster has thermal foam and a breathable interior lining to keep your feet warm and dry in hot or cold weather. This boot has great traction, with great ankle and arch support for long days on your feet performing the toughest fishing jobs.
- 100% waterproof and puncture-resistant heavy-duty unisex boot
- 5mm neoprene rubber outsole is shock-absorbent
- Stretch-fit Topline hugs the calf comfortably
- Extended vulcanized rubber overlays that stretch to mid-calf
- Thermal foam under the insole for comfort in hot or cold conditions
- Breathable Airmesh linings for air circulation
- Cleated outsole has great traction
- Removable, contoured EVA 6mm Nitracel insole
- Good ankle and arch support
- Run large but narrow
- Fall apart within a year of rough use
Baffin Men’s Tractor Work Boot
For a supportive, waterproof fishing boot, Baffin Men’s Tractor Work Boot is great for fishing on warm, summer days. Measuring 15” from the arch with an extra-large 17” collar, the Tractor fits big and tall men well. The defined heel and heel cup offer more support, and the rubber outsole has excellent traction for standing and walking on slippery surfaces. Along the upper, a toe bumper and Achilles bumper add extra protection. For ultimate comfort, the foam-based support cushions your feet for long periods of standing. The thin interior lining won’t keep your feet warm in the winter, but the Baffin Men’s Tractor Work Boot is an excellent fishing boot for the summer months.
- Budget-friendly water-resistant 15” rubber boot
- Lightweight and flexible boot with foam-based support
- Self-cleaning rubber outsole with excellent traction
- Thermal upper with extra large 17” collar
- Sole and midsole molded together for more support
- Toe bumper and Achilles bumper
- Defined heel and heel cup
- Thin interior lining not ideal for cold temperatures
- No ½ sizes
- Insole not removable
- Run large with a tight toe box
- Don’t hold up well to rough conditions
If you have wide feet, finding a good pair of waterproof boots can be a challenge. If a pair fits your feet, it is too narrow for your calves (and vice-versa). The Muckboots Edgewater is a unisex 15” waterproof boot made for men and women with thicker feet and calves. With a temperature range up to 85 degrees Fahrenheit, the Edgewaters are great for either hot or cold weather. A slip-resistant, self-cleaning rubber outsole keeps you steady on your feet on slippery surfaces. With Flex-Foam support and a breathable interior lining, you can stand, walk, or sit all day in extreme comfort. The Stretch-Fit Topline neoprene upper keep you from getting wet, and they are flexible enough for thicker calves. You can even wear a pair of thicker socks with them. The Edgewaters run large, making them a perfect option for men and women with wide, thick feet.
- Unisex 15” waterproof neoprene rubber boot
- Slip-resistant, self-cleaning rubber outsole
- Flex-Foam support
- Defined heel cup
- Temperature range up to 85 degrees Fahrenheit
- Breathable interior lining
- Stretch-Fit Topline neoprene uppers stretch to fit thicker calves
- Roomy toe box
- Not slip-resistant on ice
- Last about a year
- Run large and wide
The Xtratuf Legacy is another boot by the company that holds up to the toughest fishing jobs. Made for professional fishermen, this 15” waterproof and crack-resistant work boot has a slip-resistant outsole. The boot comes in many styles, depending on your employer’s requirements: plain toe, steel toe, or plain toe with a gusseted side. This acid-resistant and chemical-resistant boot has a triple-coated latex neoprene upper for more protection and flexibility than other fishing work boots. The heel, toe, and forefoot are reinforced at these critical stress points for longer-lasting wear. With Breathe-O-Prene moisture-wicking insoles, the Legacy will keep you dry and comfortable all day, even in the roughest sea conditions.
- Waterproof, crack-resistant 15” work boot
- Triple coated latex neoprene upper is more flexible than rubber boots
- Best rubber boots for commercial fishing
- Acid-resistant, chemical-resistant
- Slip-resistant Chevron outsole
- Breathe-O-Prene moisture-wicking insoles dry quickly and absorb impact
- Defined heel with toe and heel bumpers
- Heel anchored to the midsole for durability
- Reinforced heel, toe, forefoot
- Come in plain toe, steel toe, or plain toe with gusseted side
- Run narrow
- Sole is stiff
- Don’t hold up
Servus 12” PVC Polyblend Soft Toe Shrimp Boots
Fishing doesn’t always involve sitting on a boat in the sunshine. For shrimpers, it is a hard job that involves standing, bending, and wading in water all day long. If you work in this profession, you need a boot designed for the job. The USA-made Servus 12” PVC Polyblend Soft Toe Shrimp Boot is perfect for industrial fishing jobs. The injection molded PVC upper won’t freeze up in colder weather, and it protects your feet from chemicals, acids, and other types of waste. The upper is thicker along high-impact areas of the heel and forefoot for longer-lasting wear. Made for comfortable all-day wear, the Service Shrimp Boots have a cushioned insole with a steel shank for stability.
- Made in the USA
- Budget-friendly fishing or shrimping boots
- Best wading boots
- Chemical-resistant PVC upper
- FOOT FORM insole is cushioned for comfort
- Removable insole is washable
- Steel shanks for stability
- Outsole has deep tread
- Reinforced in high-impact areas
- Run large with no half-sizes
- Wide top won’t make them waterproof (for wading)
- Feel heavy
- No arch support
Tingley 31151 Economy
Much like the Servus, the Tingley 31151 Economy boot has all the protection you need for messy fishing jobs. However, its simple design makes them just as great for a relaxing day of fishing. This knee-high boot is also injection-molded for a seamless design, and the PVC upper doesn’t freeze during the winter months. Keeping its flexibility, the Tingley is abrasion and chemical resistant for more durability. The upper is made from recycled materials, so they are perfect for the environmentally conscious consumer. They do run large, so order down to get the best fit. If you need an inexpensive boot with all of the protection you need for any fishing duties, the Tingley Economy is a great option.
- Waterproof fishing boots
- Injection-molded for a seamless design
- The knee-high boot doesn’t harden in cold temperatures
- The outsole is abrasion resistant
- Chemical-resistant PVC upper is made from recycled materials
- Heavy and rigid
- Run large
- Opening too narrow for thicker feet
- Rubber smell
- Run hot
What Should I Look For in a Fishing Boot?
Since fishing covers a wide range of activities, there are several different types of boots for what you will be doing. As with any shoe you will wear around water, you should always look for a boot that is waterproof, insulated, and breathable. Arch support and heel support will also keep you more comfortable if you do a lot of standing.
For men and women who fish as a relaxing activity, any waterproof ankle or mid-calf boot will work for sitting or standing on your boat. Uppers made with rubber or neoprene will keep your legs and feet dry from splashing or rainy days.
If you angle from the shore or in shallow water, the knee-high waterproof options are best for this type of fishing. Finding a model that has an adjustable collar will also protect your feet from water and other debris.
When you work in the commercial fishing industry, you need a waterproof boot that has more protective features. You will encounter many hazards, so fishing boots that are chemical-resistant and puncture resistant will keep your feet safe and dry.
When choosing a size for your fishing boots, think about how much protection you need. When you are relaxing on a boat, then an ankle boot will be just fine. If you expect rainy weather or lots of waves and splashing, then a mid-calf or a knee-high boot will be better for you. If you are wading, then a higher cut boot will keep your feet and calves dry. When you live in areas where the temperature drops during the winter, then a breathable, insulated boot would be your best option.
The Bottom Line
Fishing is both a fun pastime and a serious occupation. For men and women who enjoy a lounging day on the boat, any waterproof boot usually provides enough protection to keep your feet dry. For those who work in the fishing industry, you’ll need a sturdier boot to handle the rougher conditions. For those who fish from the shore, check out our best hunting boots article for great waterproof hiking boots that work well for fishing. Whether you are a leisurely fisher or you go to work on the sea, having the right fishing boot will keep you more comfortable during your activities.
Allard, Tim. “7 Tips to Guide You to the Best Fishing Boots and Shoes.” Bass Pro Shops 1 Source. April 5, 2013. https://1source.basspro.com/index.php/component/k2/261-fishing-gear/660-7-tips-to-guide-you-to-the-best-fishing-boots-shoes
“What Exactly is Neoprene and Why is it Waterproof?” Wet Okole. February 25, 2016. http://www.wetokole.com/blog/what-exactly-is-neoprene-and-why-is-it-waterproof/
Jennifer Conerly is a writer and editor with extensive retail experience in athletic shoes and fitness she never thought would come in handy.