When you have wide feet, your choices for athletic shoes are somewhat limited. Nike is one of the most well-known athletic footwear companies in the world, and their shoes famously run narrow.
Some models come in wide and extra wide sizes. This gives those of us with wider and thicker feet the option to enjoy these elite athletic shoes.
We have reviewed the best Nike running shoes for wide feet available to men, women, and children.
|Nike Running Shoe||Fit||Price||Best Feature|
|Nike Epic React Flyknit 2||Men|
|Expensive||Elastic fabric upper form-fits to the shape of the foot|
|Nike Revolution 3||Men|
|Expensive||Lightweight Phylon foam midsole has amazing bounceback|
|Nike Downshifter 9||Men|
|Moderately priced||Mesh upper has no-sew synthetic overlays for midfoot support and leather overlays for heel support|
|Nike Air Zoom Pegasus 33||Men|
|Moderately priced to expensive (depends on color and size)||Comfortable mesh upper with Flywire cables for an adjustable fit|
|Lunar Glide 8||Men|
|Expensive||Breathable Flyknit mesh upper with synthetic material and Flywire cables that moves with you|
|Nike Air Zoom Vomero 13||Men|
|Expensive||Lunar Ion foam midsole provides cushion and bounceback|
|Nike Air Zoom Structure 21||Men|
|Moderately priced||Sturdy rubber outsole with flex grooves, Nike Zoom unit, and crash pad for smooth heel-to-toe transition|
|Nike Flex Experience RN 6||Men|
|Moderately priced||lightweight running shoe that is also great for casual attire|
Best Nikes for Wide Feet: Picks for Men, Women, and Children
Nike Epic React Flyknit
For a lightweight and cushioned running shoe, the Nike Epic React Flyknit 2 is a well-designed model. The fabric upper wraps around the foot, moving with you during your walk or your run. The elastic fabric fits around wide feet as well as narrow feet, making this model preferred by men and women who need a wider shoe. Available in men’s, women’s, and youth styles, the Epic React Flyknit comes in many colors. The flexibility of the shoe comes recommended for people with problem feet, such as arthritis and swollen joints. The secure heel cage and the TPU heel clip hold your foot in place during your run, while the shoe’s React foam technology bounces back with each landing. This lightweight and comfortable running shoe has no break-in period, making it ideal for active men and women with wide feet.
- Elastic fabric upper form-fits to the shape of the foot
- Full fabric upper fits wide feet comfortably, highly suggested for problem feet
- NIKE React Foam technology bounces back with each landing
- Secure heel cage and TPU heel clip creates a secure fit
- Lightweight and comfortable running shoe with no break-in period
- Available in men’s, women’s, and kid’s in many colors and styles
- Run small and narrow
- Doesn’t hold up well on abrasive terrains
Nike Revolution 3
The NIKE Revolution is one of the most popular models in the company’s history. Although there have been several redesigns, they have become narrower with every release. The NIKE Revolution 3 is the best model for wider feet. Available for men, women, and children in several color schemes, the Revolution 3 has a stretchy and breathable mesh upper. No-sew overlays and a wide toe box add incredible comfort during your daily run. The rubber outsole has amazing multi-terrain traction, keeping you stable on your feet. Great for long-distance running, the Nike Revolution 3 remains one of the company’s best-selling running shoes among customers with wide feet.
- Available in men’s, women’s, and kid’s in several color schemes
- Mesh upper is stretchy and breathable with no-sew overlays
- Lightweight Phylon foam midsole has amazing bounceback
- The rubber outsole has great multi-terrain traction
- Great for long-distance running
- Wide toe box
- No ankle support
- Run narrow
- Mesh breaks down easily
Nike Downshifter 9
Ideal for neutral runners, the Nike Downshifter 9 is a moderately priced running shoe for men, women, and children. Available in multiple colors, the mesh upper has synthetic and leather overlays to secure the midfoot and heel during activity. The rubber outsole has excellent traction on various terrains, with flex grooves for better heel-to-toe transition. With a 1.25” heel, the outsole provides extra shock-absorption for runners who land on their heels. A Phylon foam midsole provides excellent bounceback and cushion for a smoother ride. Although this model has received two new upgrades, the Downshifter 9 remains a favorite for running, crosstraining, or everyday wear.
- A moderately-priced running shoe for men, women, and children
- Multiple color schemes available
- Mesh upper has no-sew synthetic overlays for midfoot support and leather overlays for heel support
- Contoured insole provides great arch support
- Phylon foam midsole provides excellent bounceback
- The rubber outsole has great traction with flex grooves for better heel-to-toe transition
- A 1.25” heel has shock-absorption for heel-landers
- Great for running, cross-training, or every-day wear
- Runs narrow
- Feel clunky on the feet
Nike Air Zoom Pegasus 33
The Air Zoom Pegasus is one of the most supportive running shoes by NIKE, but you have to go back a few models to get the right fit for wider feet. The Pegasus 35 runs very narrow in the forefoot, but the NIKE Air Zoom Pegasus 33 has a looser fit to accommodate men and women with a wider foot. Available in many styles and color schemes, this extremely lightweight running shoe is available in men’s, women’s, and youth sizes. The breathable, comfortable mesh upper has Flywire cable lacing to guarantee an adjustable fit. Repeat customers love the upper of the Pegasus because it dries quickly after washing. The real winner of this shoe is the responsive midsole. With Air Zoom units inside cushion foam, it has excellent rebound and bounceback for both long-distance and marathon runners. The rubber outsole has great traction, with more air zoom units under the forefoot to help runners with their toe-offs. An excellent fit for wide-footed runners at the competitive level, the Nike Air Zoom Pegasus 33 maintains a loyal customer base (despite some upgrades).
- Extremely lightweight and breathable running shoe in men’s, women’s, and youth sizes
- Available in many styles/color schemes
- Comfortable mesh upper with Flywire cables for an adjustable fit
- Upper dries quickly after washing
- Responsive midsole: Air Zoom units inside cushion foam for rebound and bounceback
- Great arch support in the insole
- Hold up well for long-distance and marathon runners
- The rubber outsole has excellent traction on multiple terrains
- Air zoom units under forefoot help forefoot runners gain speed during toe-off
- Tight toe box
- Stiff outsole
- Price fluctuates between moderate to expensive, depending on the color and size
Nike Lunar Glide 8
Unlike the previous shoes on this list, the Lunar Glide 8 flips the script on the usual experience for wide-footed runners. Instead of using outdated models, runners with wide feet will love the newest version of the Lunar Glide. The 8 has more width in the upper forefoot and the toe box than earlier models, making it easier for a natural toe splay during take-off. This running shoe is available in men’s and women’s sizes, and the Lunar Glide’s breathable Flyknit mesh upper moves with you during your run. Keeping the cushion and support of earlier models, the Lunar Ion foam midsole still provides a responsive ride. The rubber outsole has excellent traction, with a unique design to support the natural heel-to-toe transition. With a streamlined fit and a lightweight feel, you’ll be surprised to learn that the NIKE Lunar Glide 8 is particularly engineered to correct your gait. This shoe is a great choice for runners with wide feet who also need corrective footwear to support overpronation or supination.
- Running shoe available in men’s and women’s sizes
- Breathable Flyknit mesh upper with synthetic material and Flywire cables that moves with you
- Dual-density Lunar Ion foam midsole for a responsive ride
- Durable rubber outsole is specially designed to support natural heel-to-toe transition
- Great traction
- Corrects your gait
- A streamlined fit and lightweight feel
- Run narrow
- Tight heel
Nike Air Zoom Vomero 13
With the recent improvements to the NIKE Air Zoom Vomero 13, this model lost room in the forefoot. This gives the Vomero 14 a more streamlined fit, so runners with wide feet prefer the previous version for the roomier toe box. The Vomero 13 – available in a variety of color schemes – has a mesh upper with Flywire cables that support the midfoot during movement. The Lunar Ion foam midsole – also found in another shoe on this list, the Lunar Glide 9 – has excellent cushion and bounceback on landing. This creates a smooth ride during your run, reducing the impact on your joints. Although the toe box is wider than the upgrade, it is narrower than other Nike models. The Vomero 13 is the best fit for men and women with feet on the broader side of narrow.
- Breathable and lightweight men and women’s running shoes
- Mesh upper with flywires to support the midfoot without being too tight
- Lunar Ion foam midsole provides cushion and bounceback
- The durable rubber outsole has great traction
- Best for men and women who have feet that are oddly shaped: too wide to be narrow, but too narrow to be wide
- Smaller in the forefoot than other Nike models
Nike Air Zoom Structure 21
If you prefer a stability shoe for your runs, then the Nike Air Zoom Structure 21 is the way to go. This moderately priced option has the width that you need in the forefoot with a wide toe box for long-lasting comfort. The water-resistant mesh upper allows you to tackle your run in any weather, and Flywire cables cradle your midfoot for enhanced support. The tough rubber outsole has flex grooves and a crash pad for shock-absorption, encouraging a smoother heel-to-toe transition. Nike Air Zoom units run along the bottom of the outsole for a more cushioned ride. The foam midsole also provides extra impact protection, adding more cushion with every landing. Unlike most Nikes, the Structures tend to run true to size, making this model optimal for men and women who need a durable and reliable running shoe.
- Lightweight stability running shoe for men and women
- Moderately priced
- Sturdy rubber outsole with flex grooves, Nike Zoom unit, and crash pad for smooth heel-to-toe transition
- Outsole provides traction on any terrain
- Water-resistant mesh upper with Flywire cables that cradle the midfoot for enhanced support
- Foam midsole for responsive cushion and shock-absorption
- Wide toe box
- Runs true-to-size, but might be a little tight for those with thicker feet
- No heel support
- Mild break-in period
Nike Flex Experience RN 6
If you need a shoe you can wear anywhere – whether its running errands, to work or on your daily exercise run – the NIKE Flex Experience RN 6 is one of the best lightweight options. Available in men’s and women’s sizes, they are great for athletic or casual use. The flexible mesh upper fits your foot like a glove. It breathes well, making it a comfortable shoe for anyone – no matter your foot size. The slip-resistant rubber outsole has excellent traction so that you can take in your run or your errands in any weather or terrain. The Nike Flex Experience RN 6’s best feature is the injected foam midsole, which has the cushion and response that you need in a good running or walking shoe. Although this model has gone through a few redesigns, it lost the space and support of the RN 6 that make it such a comfortable fit.
- Lightweight running shoe for men and women in many styles/color schemes
- Also great for casual attire
- Moderately priced
- Breathable and flexible mesh upper fits like a glove and breathes well
- The rubber outsole has great traction and is slip-resistant
- Injected foam midsole has cushioned bounceback
- Feels stiffer than other NIKE options
- Squeaks on some harder surfaces
The Bottom Line
Finding a quality fitness shoe when you have wide feet is a challenge. Usually, you face the decision of length over width: if the shoe fits your feet length-wise, it will feel too tight, and if the shoe fits your feet width-wise, it will be too long (Running hack: you can lace your shoes differently for wide feet! Check out the link below.).
If you are a fan of the Nike brand, this is especially problematic, since their shoes run narrow. However, the models on this list come in wider sizes, so you will be able to find a running shoe that works for you. Many of them come in youth sizes as well, so you and your children can match when you hit the pavement!
If you want more great running shoes, check out our Best Running Shoes for Wide Feet article.
De Souza, Anna. “High arches? Wide feet? Find the right sneaker lacing technique for you.” Today. https://www.today.com/style/how-lace-sneakers-high-arches-wide-feet-toe-pain-more-t112110
Douglas, Scott. “Does a Shoe’s Heel-to-Toe Drop Matter?” Runner’s World. https://www.runnersworld.com/news/a20826073/does-a-shoes-heel-to-toe-drop-matter/