Recommendation: The Caterpillar Second Shift work boots get our strong recommendation.
The men’s Caterpillar Second Shift work boots come in two different versions. One is a soft-toed version and the other features a 6″ steel-toe. Both versions offer comfort and protection. The steel-toed version of the work boot is a good option for workers who require (and who are often mandated to wear) an extra layer of protection.
The Caterpillar brand offers solid construction and quality materials. The extra bonus is that this heavy duty work boot also looks good. Whether you’re shopping for a soft-toed work boot or need extra protection for potential workplace accidents, each option delivers. The Second Shift work boots are not only tough, they also offer comfort in a protective package.
Caterpillar Second Shift Steel-Toed Work Boot
4 stars – 74 reviews – zappos.com
4 stars – 67 reviews – catfootwear.com
The steel toe version of the Second Shift work boot comes in four attractive color options. A light tan, two shades of dark brown, and black. Many workplaces have specific requirements when it comes to footwear. Rest assured that this steel-toed boot has you covered. The Second Shift work boot meets the American Society for Testing and Materials standard (ASTM F2413-11 I/75 C/75 Steel Toe). This measurement outlines that the boot will protect your toes from an impact of up to 75 foot-pounds along with compressive loads of 2,500 pounds. It’s the highest amount of protection you can find in a steel toed work boot.
Shock protection: The Second Shift boots will also protect you from electrical hazards (up to 600 volts when conditions are dry) and provide excellent traction so you can avoid worrying about slipping. You can wear these boots on low-traction surfaces without feeling unstable and without having to worry. The leather construction is solid and durable. Although with heavy use you may find the outsole peeling off a bit from the upper. Depending on your particular work conditions, you may or may not encounter this problem. You won’t feel like running a race in these, they are indeed heavy. But, you get used to the additional weight and you’ll feel content knowing you’re wearing proper protective footwear.
- ASTM F2413-11 1/75 C/75 provides the highest amount of protection from impact and compression meaning you can rest assured your feet are well-protected in the Second Shift boot.
- Tough outsole provides excellent grip keeping you safe from slippage on low traction surfaces
- Protects against open circuits (up to 600 volts) in dry conditions
- Aesthetically pleasing so you’ll want to wear them instead of hiding them at the back of your closet
- Made with quality materials such as Nubuck Leather and Full Grain Leather
- Breathable insole helps with ventilation to keep you cool and dry
- For the most part, this work boot is made to last and should keep you protected for a while.
- Comfortable fit and true to size means that wearing the Second Shift boot won’t be a chore
- Outsole lacks durability, may peel away from the upper after heavy use
- Lacks flexibility and for some, this might cause discomfort
- Quite heavy. You’ll likely find yourself getting used to the extra heft but if you’re not used to wearing heavy work boots you may find these uncomfortable at first.
Caterpillar Second Shift Soft-Toed Work Boot
4 stars – 30 reviews – zappos.com
4 stars – 75 reviews – catfootwear.com
High quality with or without steel toe: The Second Shift soft-toed work boot provides the same great quality construction as the steel-toed version. You’ll also have a selection of color options for this version. These boots are perfect if you’re looking for a solid work boot and you’re not required to wear footwear that provides extra protection against potential work hazards such as electric currents, falling objects, or compressive forces. These soft-toed boots offer the same great traction as their more protective counterpart. They look nearly identical so they feature the same great rugged look.
- Classic rugged look makes these versatile and easy to wear in different situations
- Tough outsole provides great traction and protects you from slips and falls
- Made with top-notch materials like Oiled Full Grain Leather and Nubuck Leather
- Interior sock liner enhances breathability, wicks moisture, and helps keep your precious feet cool and dry.
- Comfortable fit that’s true to size makes these a pleasure to wear
- Durability concerns with regards to the outsole. With heavy use, the outsole has a tendency to wear quickly. Fortunately, you should still get the same great traction out of the boot, regardless.
- Rigid and stiff, which for some may be uncomfortable.
- These are fairly heavy. They’ll protect you from the elements and support you while you’re working so it’s probably a fair trade off. If you’re new to heavy footwear, these may take some getting used to.
Both Second Shift boots offer up excellent quality meant to last. The solid construction of both the steel-toed and soft-toed boots make both work boots perfect for whatever tough situation will be thrown at them. If you require extra protection, and your workplace mandates the use of steel-toed boots, the Caterpillar Second Shift Bootis a great choice.
All day support: The impact and compression protection are top-notch, so you’ll feel safe and won’t have to think twice about your feet. With both boots, you’ll feel stable and supported even when you’re putting in long days on your feet. You also won’t have to worry about low traction surfaces causing you problems both the steel-toe and soft-toe options provide great protection from slips and falls. Sometimes, it’s necessary to wear footwear that’s a bit bulkier. Better safe than sorry.
The impact and compression protection are top-notch, so you’ll feel safe and won’t have to think twice about your feet. With both boots, you’ll feel stable and supported even when you’re putting in long days on your feet. You also won’t have to worry about low traction surfaces causing you problems both the steel-toe and soft-toe options provide great protection from slips and falls. Sometimes, it’s necessary to wear footwear that’s a bit bulkier. Better safe than sorry.