Not quite sure whether you should spend money on that new pair of Wolverine Durashocks? I’m here to tell you that they’re definitely worth the money. With so much hype and high praise being showered on the famous line of footwear, I couldn’t pass up the chance to learn more about them myself. So I decided to cop a myself a pair of the Durashocks Waterproof Insulated Steel-Toe EH 6″ Work Boot which I’ve been using for a few months now. And I have to tell you – I was not disappointed.
With over 130 years of experience in the shoe-making industry, the Wolverine brand takes pride in its status as one of the most trusted footwear companies in the world. Established by G.A. Krause in the year 1883, Wolverine started out with a vision to innovate current footwear trends and do it all with expert craftsmanship.
Now, years after the brand first broke into the scene, Wolverine has achieved this vision with their Wolverine Durashocks line of work boots and shoes. Incorporating a uniquely and scientifically developed construction, the Durashocks technology promises supreme comfort, support, and performance perfect for workers who need that extra spring in their step.
If you’re hoping to learn more about the Wolverine Durashocks Technology, then keep on reading.
- 1 More About Durashocks Tech
- 2 Unbelievable Energy Efficiency
- 3 Superb Construction, Make, and Material
- 4 Good Comort, Save for the Toe Box
- 5 A Tight Fit That Lasts
- 6 Lots of Other Variations
- 7 Pros of the Wolverine Durashocks Technology
- 8 Cons of the Wolverine Durashocks Technology
- 9 The Verdict
More About Durashocks Tech
The Wolverine Durashocks Technology was first introduced into the market way back in 1991. So just the fact that they’re still popular to this day tells you that the brand knew exactly what they were doing when they came up with the design. Today, Wolverine incorporates Durashocks Tech into a variety of footwear designs. This includes work boots, work shoes, and even hunting boots.
While the company has updated their Durashocks Technology since its initial release, the tech has remained essentially the same. What sets it apart from other choices that it promises to be less tiring on your feet by absorbing shock and returning energy with each step.
The entire construction makes use of several different components to achieve these results. Here’s a short break-down of what you can find in the Durashocks design:
Removable Full Cushion Foot Bed
- Comfort is relative, and Wolverine knows that. So while it does incorporate a full cushion foot bed which is pretty comfortable all on its own, the design leaves users the option to remove the foot bed all together. This is to make sure that you can achieve a customized comfort experience that suits your preferences.
- Inside the sole is the unique Wolverine H-Plate that’s unique to the Durashocks design. The H-Plate is basically a sturdy, rigid piece of metal that suspends the heel and adds bounce to the user’s step. This gives greater energy return to give you more power to plough through your day.
Shock Absorbing Compression Pads
- Fitted into the outsoles are shock absorbing compression pads that absorb greater shock and return energy to your feet. This makes the design not only more comfortable, but more energy efficient as well.
- Finally, the entire sole construction is protected by a durable outsole material with an aggressive chiselled texture and rubber lugs that give the boots superior traction against a variety of surfaces.
Unbelievable Energy Efficiency
Because the Wolverine brand boasts its Durashocks line as an energy efficient collection of work boots, I want to talk about this aspect of the boot first and foremost. Needless to say, the company doesn’t disappoint. So it’s easy to understand why so many people have gravitated to the design throughout the years.
You can actually feel a slight bounce with each step, and this definitely helps with energy conservation. After a full day of wearing the boots, your feet are guaranteed to feel much less tired, bruised, and battered. And for anyone working a blue collar job, that’s a major plus point.
Superb Construction, Make, and Material
What is a work boot if it doesn’t stick with you through the thick and thin? The Wolverine Durashocks Waterproof Insulated Steel-Toe EH 6” Work Boot is positively a durable shoe that you can depend on through even the most demanding work environments.
The full-grain leather upper is treated to be 100% water proof. This protects it against damage caused by prolonged exposure to moisture. Another reason why you can step in confidence with the Wolverine Durashock is because the sole is directly attached to the design. This eliminates the chances of having the soles fall apart or break away from the boot over time.
Good Comort, Save for the Toe Box
Along the inside of the boot lies a removable full cushion foot bed. This insert comfortably cradles your feet with each step. Of course, it is removable in case comfort translates differently for your taste and preferences. So if you want to fit your own cushion into the boot, you can do so.
The entire interior of the boot is lined with a moisture-wicking mesh lining. For those who suffer from sweaty feet, this feature can help give you cool, dry comfort throughout the day. It also helps reduce the chances of your boots developing foul odors or bacteria as time wears on.
I do have to say that the H-Plate and the compression outsole help out greatly with comfort. The extra bounce makes the boot feel extra cushioned which is another reason why I think it’s so efficient at maximizing your energy.
There was one problem I found with the Durashocks Waterproof Insulated Steel-Toe 6” Work Boot was the space provision along the toe area of the interior. The steel-toe insert itself takes up a lot of space. So if you have larger feet or a wider toe span, the steel-toe might actually rub against your skin and cause some discomfort. In more serious cases, it may even cause injury.
The solution for this would be to take out the cushion foot bed to give your feet more vertical space to clear the steel-toe. But then again, you’d be sacrificing the comfort that the cushion offers.
A Tight Fit That Lasts
The boot itself does feel pretty tight with its stubborn leather. Initially, the boot will resist to move and bend along with your feet. This can be a good thing as it gives greater ankle support to prevent inversion and eversion injuries. The lacing system features D-shaped hooks which I think give much greater control over fit compared to standard eyelets. They’re also easier to adjust as they give more room for the laces to fit through.
In terms of looks, the Durashocks Waterproof Steel-Toe Work Boot isn’t technically anything special. I mean, it looks like a decent work boot. So if you’re not particular about flashy aesthetics, it won’t be a problem.
Other choices do look a little more handsome though, like the all black leather design used for the SR Durashock DA 6 Inch Steel Toe Work Boot. Sure, the silhouette is marginally different, but it all together looks more robust and manly, if that’s what you’re after.
Lots of Other Variations
The Durashocks design comes in a wide variety of footwear designs, not just work boots. For instance, for those who don’t need a boot, there’s the Exert Non STL Durashocks SR OXF Work shoe. Save for the lack of a steel toe, the non-waterproof design, and the slightly more forgiving upper, this shoe features the same durability, comfort, and support that the 6” work boot does.
For those more interested in using their Wolverine footwear for outdoors and hunting, there are suitable Durashocks. The Fury Insulated Waterproof Hunting Boot features extra durable material. The design was intended for off-road terrain by incorporating more insole padding. This results to improved comfort in the great outdoors. Plus, the waterproof upper promises to keep your boot protected against the damages that moist, muddy environments could cause.
Pros of the Wolverine Durashocks Technology
- Superior energy efficiency, propelling you forward with each step and giving you more power to move throughout the day.
- Extra comfortable despite being a chunky, heavy duty work boot.
- Waterproof design keeps the entire boot protected from moisture damage and chemical corrosion.
- Comes in a variety of designs and styles so you can find the right footwear for your specific situation.
- Secure lacing system allows you to adjust your boot’s tightness more accurately.
- Superb moisture control linings keep your feet sweat free throughout the day.
Cons of the Wolverine Durashocks Technology
- Added insole cushion could reduce vertical clearance, causing some users’ toes to rub painfully against the steel toe.
- Sizes run a bit small, so be careful to choose the wrong fit.
When you work in a difficult, demanding industry, you should be able to move in confidence. With the Wolverine Durashocks, you can do just that. Promising unwavering reliability and impressive comfort, this work boot design ensures to keep you going for longer. All this minus the pain of sore, tired, beat-up feet and the constant worry of watching where you step.
So for anyone in search of a good work boot, then I can definitely recommend the Wolverine Durashocks. Of course – they’re not perfect especially when you consider the sizing issue around the forefoot. But all things considered, the Durashocks perform impressively out on the field. The boots fulfill their promise to give you more energy to get through your day at a budget-friendly cost.